Translate

Random Story - The late Calvin Jones

The day began as any other.
I awoke, got dressed, and set about leaving the house.  It looked as if it might rain so I wore the heaviest jacket I owned.

The bus was typically late.
Under normal circumstances a late bus wouldn't be quite so irritating but considering my bus stop lay two stops away from the terminus I had to watch the driver take his statutory beak my frustrations seemed justified.
Eventually I was sat on top of the double-decker trying to calculate exactly how late I would be to work as it moved city ward.

Some thirty or so minutes later the bus had arrived and I was departing on to the concrete paved slabs of the high street.  -  By now the clouds had parted and the sun was making a rare and vengeful appearance.

Sighting the direction of work I broke in to what is best described as a power-jog  It soon became clear the jacket was a mistake.  It was then the taxi caught my eye,
Its distinctive black shape stood out like against the backdrop of high street, as I crossed a road I quickly dodged an incoming car, dashed across to the other side, and hailed it.

I was so relieved I had spotted it I didn't even take notice of its vintage look or its blacked out windows.
The occupied light lit up, the taxi slowed and pulled up to the curve a few moments later.
As I closed the door behind me and sat down I noticed the red leather. - The doors locked.

As the taxi departed the faceless driver began to speak in a tone and manner that suggests hes seen it all, instinctive;y my mind filtered him out.

"So..  That was unexpected wasn't it?  You never seen it coming they'll say.."

"224 Royal Square mate"  I replied, trying to calculate if I might now have enough time to pick up a coffee before work.


"Ha ha, that's a good one!  I don't get many laughs in this job, thanks.."



It was then I noticed we were no longer diving on roads, in fact we were never driving at all.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for selecting the interactive feedback algorithm.
Has your personalised experience been an enjoyable one?